ASPCA, July 1, 2011
Pet Parents, Prepare for the Fireworks!
Boom! It’s that time of year again—BBQ, sunscreen and fireworks. Unfortunately, these holiday light shows are no blast for many pets. In fact, the sound of fireworks, even small ones, can terrify your dog. In some cases it may even cause hearing damage—dogs’ hearing can be 10 times more sensitive than humans’. The good news is that there are a few things you can do to help your dog get through the Independence Day festivities.
- Keep them home. Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them. The best option is to leave your pup indoors in a safe, secure, escape-proof room. Do not leave pets outside, even in a fenced yard, anytime fireworks might be set off.
- Make it comfy! Set up a comfy bed, food and water. Consider leaving a TV or radio on to drown out the sound of the fireworks and to provide familiar noises. And keep the windows and curtains closed to help muffle the noise and block bursts of light.
- Use Proper I.D. Make sure your pooch is wearing correct identification and tags just in case he or she becomes scared and runs away from home. Microchipping also is a great precaution.
- Keep the goodies at bay! Keep your pet away from used and unused fireworks, as well as alcoholic beverages, human foods and other Fourth of July treats since many of these items can be harmful.
For our full list of holiday precautions, visit our Fourth of July Safety Tips!